CBD or cannabidiol is a component of the hemp plant which is found in high concentrations in marijuana. In recent years, CBD for dogs has been investigated as a possible treatment for epilepsy as well as asthma and other breathing-related conditions.
But what about using it to treat an anxious dog or one who’s hurting? As with most issues involving our four-legged friends, there isn’t enough scientific evidence to give us clear answers on how CBD may affect dogs differently than humans. But there are several studies that offer interesting leads.
Whole Plant Hemp Oil for dogs click here
- Multiple phytocannabinoids (5-8+reported in lab tests)
- Terpene Rich Hemp Oil
- Made from Organically grown Colorado Hemp.
- Lab formulated and 3rd Party Lab Tested
- Free of Pesticides, Microbials, Heavy Metals & Residual Solvents.
- Quality controlled from Seed to Sale.
Here are 6 things you should know about CBD for dogs:
1. It might help calm them down
2. It could ease their pain and inflammation “CBD stimulates descending serotonin and vanilloid receptors in the nervous system, which could explain its effectiveness in treating arthritis and other similar conditions,” says Dr. Stephanie McGrath, a veterinarian who is also pursuing a doctorate in clinical psychology.
4. Cannabinoids produce different effects depending on the dosage “CBD can act like a stimulant or an antagonist, depending on what agonists (like THC) or antagonists are present with CBD,” says Dr. Frankel, who is also a neuropharmacology researcher at the University of Colorado’s School of Veterinary Medicine.
5. It could interact badly with other medications “CBD can inhibit metabolism of some drugs through the enzyme CYP450 3A4, which means it could increase the concentration and toxicity levels of other drugs your pet is taking,” McGrath says.
6. We don’t know that much about how it interacts with dogs’ endocannabinoid systems (what affects humans) or what disorders might be helped by CBD for dogs. “We know even less about CBD in veterinary species than we do about adult humans,” says Dr. Stephanie McGrath, DVM, PhD Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology at University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.
- http://www.naturapetjournal.com/summer15pgs/Hemp_Oil_For_Dogs_FAQs_1_.html Posted on 8 March 2015 by Dog Care Professionals
- https://www.livescience.com/49429-cannabis-marijuana-dogs-research.html 11 February 2018 by Kelly April Tyrrell
- https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/can-cannabidiol-or-cbd-help-your-dog/ Posted on 21 December, 2017 by David J. Hill and Dr. Whitfield
- http://drbarchas.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/howtochooseacbdvendor/ Posted on 24 August 2013 by Dr. Barbara Jennifer
- https://twitter.com/HealthyPetInfo | Tweet!